Friday, May 8, 2015

hard week

Hello all,
I'm glad this past week is over. We had a transfer of new missionaries coming into the mission on Tuesday. So we had their new trainers come to the mission office for training on Tuesday, the day they were suppose to arrive. Well out of 11 missionaries, 9 made it on the plane on time. later in the day the other 2 were on a later flight. So one of the two, misplaced his passport and couldn't get through customs. What a great panick time! When the mission president and others heard this, they said a pray for this missionary. One of the assistants immediately went to the place where the elder had placed his passport and then he was able to enter the country. Here is Zimbabwe you get deported immediately with out a passport. Maybe the U.S. should use this practice. Well the next day, we were waiting for two more missionaries coming from the Ghana MTC. We thought we had that day all arranged, but it went like the day before, rather confusing. Some how the mission secretary found out that these elders were being delayed, at the airport and wrote and told us this. But didn't know the new arrival time and what flight they would be on. So I was busy calling the Ghana MTC and their travel department and they had no idea what was going on. So President went down to the airport and waited and then came back  to the mission office, and then went back later . He couldn't find the two missionaries, he called us and was yelling in the phone,. WE hung up and said a prayer, minutes later the missionaries found the Cooks,at the airport. We are grateful that the Lord watches over his chosen missionaries. They are all safe in the mission and they all asked that I write a short note to their families, by way of their priesthood leaders, that they are safe! I've received a note back from all of their priesthood leaders and they are all grateful they are safe. They all entered the MTC in Johannesburg, South Africa where there is a lot of violence right now. So their families can now take a deep breath and know they are safe. To top off on of those days, the travel in Ghana moved up the departure of 4 missionaries, going to the MTC there. They were all from Zimbabwe, one from our mission branch. So this elder was having his going away party when the zone leaders picked him up , and took him to the mission home so he could be set apart for his mission and then leave the next morning for Ghana. I just pray that next transfer will be so much smoother. It's been very stressful!!!!!
So this week, PResident Cook and Sister Cook are in Cape Town South AFrica, for the mission presidents seminar. What a treat for them! Our office , I hope, will be very quite and maybe I'll be able to catch up on some late work.
So last week I had the MTC in Provo call me, so they could train the person in charge of referrals on the Churches new referral system. Well that would be me. I kept telling the young man that our power goes out on a regular basis and that it might not work. Well, the next day we got connected, through the phone and on the computer. The young man finally gave up on me and told me to print off this written script and read it. ON Tuesday coming up, we are going to try it again. Our computer never got connected to the Church map link. WE do have great problems here, and I'm probably the greatest problem. Me on a computer is deadly!
Our church meeting was good today. Our numbers were off, but the testimonies were really good and sincere. This coming weekend the mission is going to have the first ever branch mission auxiliary training meeting. I just need to get my portion all together and order food for the lunch after the meeting. We should have about 100 people for the meeting, it's joined with the branch mission presidencies meeting.
 Enough about me and elder A. How is every one? Dad, that's great that you've been able to get some hay cut and sold. Sure hope the farm equipment doesn't give you any problems this coming season. Mom, I'm sure you're outside a lot these days.
Well, Rob and Whitney called and told us that they are going to have a little boy!!!! we are excited to have another grandson. WE keep skyping with Lindsay and Curtis, and Owen. HE sure is cute and we can't wait to hold him and BAby boy hermansen (he needs a name).
We have officially passed our half way point. Just can't think about going home, time will slow way down.
The mission is going to have Elder Lynn G. Robbins come at the end of the month. That will be a treat. WE'll have a special zone conference, lunch and then a couples dinner with them at the mission home. There are more Area authorities coming before the Cooks leave on July 1st. IT will be a busy time in the office. I'm not going to defrost the freeze!!!! No one ever looks inside. I will for the new mission president.
Elder A posted the drop box pictures. I have no idea what he included in there. I will have to label each picture. Lindsay , so proud of you winning that race in Elk Ridge. I'm not sure if I'll be up to doing the temple to temple race when we get home. I'll certainly keep trying.
We are doing well. Elder A is frustrated with the business people in Harare. But we have noticed that they are putting in new street lights. I can't wait to see them. Did I tell you that we now have lines painted on the roads(just some of them). The other day, there were two men out in the middle of the street filling the hugh pot holes with bricks. They were trying to slow down the cars and get people to pay them for doing that. I'm grateful that someone is filling the craters in the road. Maybe we need to be more generous with what we've been blessed with.
WE do hope you're all doing well and we love you all and pray always for you. Hope your healthy and happy.
Love Elder A and Sister H.

No comments:

Post a Comment